The bestselling author of Mosquitoland brings us another batch of unforgettable characters in this tragicomedy about first love and devastating loss.
Victor Benucci and Madeline Falco have a story to tell.
It begins with the death of Vic’s father.
It ends with the murder of Mad’s uncle.
The Hackensack Police Department would very much like to hear it.
But in order to tell their story, Vic and Mad must focus on all the chapters in between.
This is a story about:
1. A coded mission to scatter ashes across New Jersey.
2. The momentous nature of the Palisades in winter.
3. One dormant submarine.
4. Two songs about flowers.
5. Being cool in the traditional sense.
6. Sunsets & ice cream & orchards & graveyards.
7. Simultaneous extreme opposites.
8. A narrow escape from a war-torn country.
9. A story collector.
10. How to listen to someone who does not talk.
11. Falling in love with a painting.
12. Falling in love with a song.
13. Falling in love.
Ever since his father died, Vic’s life has been a total mess. With Frank, his mother’s boyfriend wanting to become Frank, the husband, life becomes even worse.
To avoid the horrors his life will face, he ran, together with his father’s ashes, leading him to meet Madeline, the girl with a story to tell and the rest of the gang.
- Its urban-styled writing gives you the street vibe of the story. The novel is written in such a manner that it is as if you are simply having a soulful conversation with a stranger, may it be the guy sitting beside you in a bus or just simply someone else.