The beast raged; it punctured the air with its spite. But the girl was fiercer.
Tea is different from the other witches in her family. Her gift for necromancy makes her a bone witch, who are feared and ostracized in the kingdom. For theirs is a powerful, elemental magic that can reach beyond the boundaries of the living—and of the human.
Great power comes at a price, forcing Tea to leave her homeland to train under the guidance of an older, wiser bone witch. There, Tea puts all of her energy into becoming an asha, learning to control her elemental magic and those beasts who will submit by no other force. And Tea must be strong—stronger than she even believes possible. Because war is brewing in the eight kingdoms, war that will threaten the sovereignty of her homeland…and threaten the very survival of those she loves.
I have received an advance readers copy of this novel from Netgalley and the publisher for an honest review.
Bone witches are known to be weilders of dark magic. Necromancers who can raise monsters and bring them back to the grave and ashas who can only summon the dark.
When Tea made her brother rose from the dead, everyone is sure that the girl is a bone witch. Guided by her senior, Lady Mykaela, Tea is sent to be trained in the House Valerian where she learn how to be fierce and graceful like the other ashas around.
- It’s like reading a book straight from an anime. This novel reminds me of one of my most favorite animes of all time. Zero no Tsukaima, or in english, The Familiar of Zero, is a story about the girl who excels in nothing and her familiar who protects her. Well, The Bone Witch is not exactly like this cheesy love story but if you liked the anime a lot, you may as well check this one out.
- The novel may be a fantasy but it is surprisingly light and easy to read. It is written with words that are pleasing to the eyes yet consist of words that are more likely stored in your vocabulary.
- Character building. I love how the author portrayed each and every character in the story in her own unique way. Each has their own distinct personality that surely, the readers will find interesting.
- Intriguing chapter in betweens. One of the reasons why this book is such a wonder is because of these chapter in betweens. Unlike the main chapters itself, these bunch of paragraphs are set in the present, therefore, making the readers more curious on what happened to the character and why she ended up like that.
- Expect the unexpected. Every book has their own twists and turns that somehow, the readers will find rather amusing than boring. In this case, I have never guessed everything that had happened in the end. I mean, I was shocked yes, but it was a different shock than the rest of the fantasy novels I have read. It’s hard to put my feelings into words but trust me, this book is not like the others.
- Too much world building. Despite how I enjoyed reading the whole book, I cannot help but rant about the slow progress of the story. It is as if the author tend to start the real story in the sequel than in this novel. If that even makes any sense.
- Geisha inspired fashion trends and traditions. It is a colorful novel indeed. With themes resembling the geisha of japan, the readers will surely find delight in this novel.
- Despite how beautiful the story is, it is the type that doesn’t stick to your mind that long. Sad to say, despite the thrill in the ending, I have gotten over the book faster than I thought. I don’t know if same goes from everyone but if you think so too, you can comment down below.
- I am fortunate enough to read a physical ARC with the author’s notes. My best friend won a signed copy of the book a few months ago and decided to let me borrow. All I can say is that, the author has a very good sense of humor and a very diverse source of inspiration. Who would want to dedicate a whole book to ramen anyways?
Thank you so much guys for visiting my page again today. For those who are visiting for the first time, let me great you with a warm virtual hug!
I hope you enjoyed my review. If you have some comments and suggestions or if you just want someone to talk to, please leave a message down below.
Till my next review!