Hope is dying.
Hope Jackson has lived her short life to the fullest, but her four closest friends are dangling on the brink of disaster. Right before dying of a rare heart condition, Hope sets up a scavenger hunt across New York City using her graffiti art. The directions she leaves her friends are simple: Solve the clues hidden in her art, and they’ll solve the problems haunting their lives.
Hope is dead.
Two days after her heart fails, Hope’s friends are thrown together:
Aiden, her best friend, whose plans to attend college have been scattered by his OCD.
Kali, her foster sister, whose last ties to sanity are as razor-thin as her anorexic waistline.
Erik, her high school crush, whose success as an athlete is based on a lie with no end in sight.
And Sam, her online pen-pal, whose perfect life exploded into chaos in the aftermath of a school bombing.
Together, the four teens take to the streets of New York to complete Hope’s scavenger hunt and fulfill her dying wishes. But in order to unravel the clues hidden in Hope’s graffiti, her friends will need to confront their personal demons head on.
Hope is within reach.
I have received an advance readers copy of this novel from Netgalley and the publisher for an honest review.
“So here’s the thing: I’ve always known Hope is a strange chick, but she’s not the normal type of strange. Some girls act weird just to get a dude’s attention, and it’s annoying as hell. But Hope doesn’t do any of that. She’s just your typical juvenile-delinquent-foster-kid-graffiti-artist who also happens to be a straight-A-Harvard-bound-student who’s really freaking hot.”
Hope Jackson has died of a rare heart condition called Eisenmenger syndrome. Now, she wants to gather the people who means a lot in her life to perform her dying wish. A scavenger hunt.
As the group accomplishes each task in the city than never sleeps, they also learn how to deal with each other’s weakness to face their own demons.
- I really love the geeky concept of the story. As someone who is studying in the field of medicine, I personally am amazed on how the author compiled each facts into a masterpiece. It is cleverly written and very easy to understand.
- I like how the book is written. It is witty and unique for each character in the story.
- This book is definitely a page turner. With it’s intelligent topics and interesting characters, this is a book that you cannot literally put down.
- The characters are very very diverse. Each one of them has their own issues to face. Sexuality, mental illnesses, drugs and even racial differences are tackled in this book.
- Medical, medical, medical! One of the things that authors missed in writing about characters with mental illnesses or any other illnesses is the reality behind their condition. What I love with this book is that it never sugarcoated each of its issues and tend to state what reality these people faces and how they manage to get through. A very informative novel indeed.
- It should have been better if Hope’s artworks are visually incorporated in the book. I am quite a visual person so when I read the description of Hope’s artworks, my mind somehow got messed up in imagining what it really looked like. That’s the only flaw I saw.
Till my next review guys!