On the day he retires, Inspector Ashwin Chopra inherits two unexpected mysteries.
The first is the case of a drowned boy, whose suspicious death no one seems to want solved. And the second is a baby elephant.
As his search for clues takes him across the teeming city of Mumbai, from its grand high rises to its sprawling slums and deep into its murky underworld, Chopra begins to suspect that there may be a great deal more to both his last case and his new ward than he thought.
And he soon learns that when the going gets tough, a determined elephant may be exactly what an honest man needs…
★★★★ (4 stars)
I have received an advance readers copy of this novel from Netgalley for an honest review.
There are two things Inspector Chopra unexpectedly received the day he retired. One is, the case of a drowned boy, not too obvious enough to be murdered at some sort and a baby elephant who never wanted to eat.
As our main character unravels the secret of the drowned boy, he realized that the baby elephant, whom he inherited from his beloved uncle is one of the things he would definitely need.
- If you love Nancy Drew, this is a perfect book for you. One of the books that I love reading when I was a child is Nancy Drew. I love how the mysteries were solved and the different twists in each book. That is one of the reasons why I requested a copy of this book in Netgalley.
- Another thing is, the involvement of the cute Ganesh, the baby elephant in the story. It really intrigued me. Well, you might as well read in order to find out how cute this little creature is. (smiles)
- Unlike any other mystery books, this story was set in Mumbai, India. An aspect of the book that gives it a refreshing vibe. Most of the mystery/thriller books I have read are based either somewhere in America or somewhere in Europe. It is rare for a mystery/thriller book to be set in Asia more especially, India. So, this is another reason to read this book.
- The writing style is quite different. It is poetic at the time casual. A unique way of telling a story about murder and a cute little elephant. (smiles)
- The story can be quite boring. This is one of the reasons why I finished this book slower than I expected it to be. To tell you honestly, there are times when I just want to put it down and never continue, but the story really engulfed my guts and I ended up finishing the whole thing.
- This is obviously not a YA novel. I cannot quite remember what part of Netgalley I requested this book but definitely, this is not a Young Adult Fiction. If you are looking for a mystery/thriller/young adult book, this is not the book for you.
There is not much to complain about this book. All in all, this book is one interesting read and I recommend it to all mystery/thriller fans out there who wants something refreshing to read.
Till m next book review! (smiles)