This isn’t his sister’s Wonderland….
Henry never believed his older sister, Alice’s, fantastic tales about the world down the rabbit hole. When he’s whisked away to the bizarre land, his best chance for escape is to ally himself with the person called the Mad Hatter. Hatter—an odd but strangely attractive fellow—just wants to avoid execution. If that means delivering “Boy Alice” to the Queen of Hearts at her Red Castle, Hatter will do what he has to do to stay alive. It doesn’t matter if Henry and Hatter find each other intolerable. They’re stuck with each other.
Along their journey, Henry and Hatter must confront what they’ve always accepted as truth. As dislike grows into tolerance and something like friendship, the young men see the chance for a closer relationship. But Wonderland is a dangerous place, and first they have to get away with their lives.
★★ (2 stars)
I have received an advance readers copy of this novel from Netgalley for an honest review.
Remember Alice? The girl who fell from the rabbit hole and went into a magical place called Wonderland? Well, this is the story her brother has to tell.
Henry never believed the stories her sister told him when he was young. He never thought Wonderland ever exist until such time when he, himself fell into his sister’s trap and was brought to Wonderland.
Hatter’s life is at stake. With the Red Queen in front of him, willing to let his head roll, all he want to do is escape. But what if he can only escape the Queen’s brutal verdict if he can only bring the ‘Boy Alice’ with him to the castle?
This is one twisted tale set years after Alice’s escape to Wonderland.
- The writing style is magnificent. A tale indeed told in a manner wherein the readers would feel the fairy tale aspect of the story. It is a tale written in a witty manner that the readers would definitely enjoy reading.
- The characters are witty, especially the Mad Hatter. Oh, how I love his character. The way he talks and his riddles! Henry too is one great man. So as the others.
- The story itself is packed with surprises. There are parts of the book wherein you would not really expect to happen.
P.S. May contain spoilers. If you don’t want to be spoiled, don’t read this part.
- This story has this boy to boy relationship between Henry and Hatter. Well, if you are sensitive to this kind of topic then, this is not a book for you.
- I didn’t feel any spark between the characters in love. Honestly, I don’t mind the boy to boy relationship between the Hatter and Henry but I really didn’t feel anything. I don’t know if it is because, it is my first time reading such themed novel but in the duration that I am reading the novel, I only see them as friends and nothing more. They kissed, yes, but I really cannot feel any chemistry between them. I don’t know if its just me or what. Well anyways, moving on.
- The story is too slow paced. When I was reading this novel, I found myself bored at times and stopped, well, until I really decided not to finish the book. Yes, you heard me right. I haven’t finished the book. It’s rare for me to do such especially when this book contains only 190 pages. Well, it cannot be helped. I have been reading this for at least 5 days now and I just wanted to stop. Maybe sometime someday, I would find time to go back and continue this book. (smiles)
So, these are my pros and cons in reading this novel. I hope you will enjoy it as much as the others do. (Well, I have read lots and lots of great reviews out there.) And please do tell me what you think about the novel. I don’t want to discourage you in reading this. But anyways, till the next time. (smiles)